Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Unintentionally Growing Dreads

I have never wanted dreadlocks, but up until I took a shower yesterday I felt like I was well on my way to having some. We just finished up our first track, the Kepler Track in Fiordland National Park. Prior to that though we hitchhiked our way from the middle of the North Island to the south end of the South Island. 1700 kilometers. Sweet. We camped the along the way at "holiday parks." Holiday Parks are the KOAs of New Zealand. Kind of expensive but have lots of amenities. So fortunately we could take showers. But check this out ladies. My shampoo (Dr. Bonners Suds) is the same soap we use to wash our clothes, our pots, our bodies etc. etc. Doesn't really have any volumizing attributes. (But it does have an over powering peppermint scent.) Oh yea and my brush is my fingers. So then follow up that week of awesome hair care with about 4 days of no showers and wam bam you are on your way to some sweet dreadlocks. But insert yesterday's shower (with shampoo and conditioner) and the dread cycle has been reversed. Sweet. But the Kepler Track was even sweeter. We had amazing weather. Which is saying a lot for here since they get 9 meters of rain a year. But next we are heading just a wee bit north of here to do the Routeburn and Greenstone/Caples Tracks. They start in Fiordland National Park but end up in Mt. Aspiring National Park. Anyways here a couple shots from the Kepler Track. Cheers.

Well after several attempts I cannot seem to get the pics to post. But I will try again later when I find another library with free internet :)

No comments: