Monday, February 11, 2008

Skiing for minimum wage

Well, it's Monday, so it stands to reason that I found another new job. While I was looking for a resort job for Nate Dragoo so that he and Kristen move to Nevada, too, and get in on our cockameme scheme to buy a cabin and get more dogs (holy run-on sentance!), I found a ski patrol posting at Heavenly. And, since I had nothing to loose but a semi-regular substitute teaching gig, I decided to see what would come of it. My interview consisted of a few basic questions and having to ski a black run on a powder day. Okay. So, I got the job. Woohoo! It's mostly a training gig... so they train me to do cool stuff and I show up every day for $8.75 per hour. I'm just counting experience as some extra pay. The first day on the job was pretty darn sweet. Basically I skied around, learned the mountain, and helped fix people... It was pretty fabulous, mostly. It's not a super good idea for me, as it makes me contemplate another excuse to continue to be seasonal---indefinitely (eventually, they pay you more money). Although, I feel like, for the first time in a while, this is a good fit. I just need to learn to tele faster! I bet I'll figure it out. Anyways, I think it'll be sweet. Also, the perks included a proverbial crap load of buddy passes, if any of you loyal blog readers want to come out and tear it up. I'm just sayin's all. ;)

No comments: