Monday, June 2, 2008

Finally Breathing

I am sitting in the Looney Bean coffee shop in Mammoth Lakes, CA for the purposes of blogging and nursing sore muscles. Bear is in the shade outside with three other dogs. I can watch him out the window. It's genius. What I have figured out from being here a bit less than a week... this place will be all right. It reminds me a lot of Jackson without the pronghorn. And, honestly, there are a few less people here. The mountain closed yesterday and with that, ski season may be over. It is warming and the snow is melting. The Minarets are still very snowy above the Postpile, but it is going fast. So I found some climbing. We went to this very Bear friendly climbing area about a half hour from the monument. It was great volcanic tuff. Nice big holds, some challenging cracks, and I managed to muscle up my first 10.b since Joshua Tree. I think it was generously rated, but I'm going to go with it. I have sufficiently scoped the local Brewery. Good food, good beer, and a great view. Everything has a great view. Bear went swimming yesterday. I think he forgot. Head was quickly under the water. We'll ease into swimming season. The evenings have consisted of campfires, beer, and trips to the local hot spring. Damn, life is tough. Oh, and the job... well, it will have its challenges. But it is minimally stressful, my staff is good (for the most part), and I feel like I can finally breathe. It must be the higher altitude. I think it helps. For those of you who are intrigued by a backcountry cabin in the woods in the Sierras, pack your bags, buy a plane ticket to Reno, and I'll have the beer chilling in the fridge.

No comments: