Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lessons from a Dog


I got Bear back in August of 2006. I can't remember life without him. Many of you might remember what an agonizing decision it was for a seasonal park ranger to take on a 70 pound three legged dog... I remember calling my sister before his surgery saying, "What if I don't want a three legged dog?" My sister said, "But he'll be your three-legged dog and that will make him the coolest dog ever." Well, not to brag, but Bear is pretty cool, although I think I have very little to do with it. Wherever I go with Bear I get the sad pitty face. One lady in Tahoe actually bought Aimee and I coffee for "doing such a good deed". Admittedly I was homeless and jobless, so we took the coffee, but that's not the point. I guess it was sort of a good deed, but I feel like I have certainly been the larger beneficiary. Bear has taught me many things, but most importantly about priorities. Once I got Bear, all of the sudden I was on tripod dog web sites and consulting vets on how to keep him healthy and active, and buying dog life jackets and bike trailers! I never thought I would ever give up a ski day to hang out with my dog. Turns out, it's often pretty darn entertaining. Bear the wonder dog has truly been that... a wonder dog. Every day I am impressed with his loyalty (read: follows me to the bathroom and waits outside the door) his ability (the day he re-learned to swim, I was sold!) and how he has changed my life.


What is the point of all of this? Well, there's another tripod in this world that needs a home, as as I already have three dogs, I can't take him in (trust me, I did think about it-- even busted out the pro and con list!) If you know anyone who might have room in their lives for a special needs pup, please direct them to this website to meet Benji. He lost his front leg the same way Bear did- in a car accident. He's a five year old Golden Retriever and darn cute! Please pass this message on to anyone you know who might be up for a trip to Jackson Hole to check the little guy out. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Way to campaign for the three legged wander dogs! Watched a one legged sea gull hop around the beach the other day. Probably not as marketable as the three legged wander dogs though;)

LiveWorkDream said...

Right on, thanks for showing the world Tripawds rule!. And, they have lots to teach us.

Appreciate the head's up about Benji. We'll post his story in our Tripawd rescue forums.

Best wishes,
Rene, Jim & Spirit Jerry
Tripawds.com
LiveWorkDream.com

maureenfinnerty said...

Thanks for the help with the tripod on the rescue forums. I'll give that info to the Adoption Center too. I think Benji is the second Tripod they have had this year, so it's possible they'll get more in the future as they are such great dogs!