Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Seed is Sleepy


I have, over the last couple of years, said several disparaging things about my job. Who hasn't, really? But every once in a while, you have those moments that remind you why you like what you do. Now, I have also said disparaging things about other people's children. Why? I'm a bad person. Normally, other people's children are not my thing. Some of you may remember my brief stint as a day care "teacher"... Three months. And I wanted to pull my hair out every day. Except for the one day this kid was crawling around the floor and when I asked him why he said, "I'm going sniffing!" That was funny. The point? I'm getting there. So yesterday, I went to the library for story hour. I was the guest reader. The topic was springtime. Fitting as it was 63 degrees yesterday. I chose several books loosely related to the topic of spring. One was called An Egg is Quiet. I read the title to the kids and this four year old girl with a pineapple top ponytail looks up and said, "Of course it is, ranger. Its an egg!" Kids are quite logical. In all of the times I had read that book, no one had ever pointed that out. Hmmm... I found it to be quite amusing. I also read them A Seed is Sleepy. This met with a similar response, although I think it took them longer to realize what that one was all about. Sleepy seeds are very confusing. Maybe I didn't get to the point on this entry... I guess the point is that there is much joy to be found in reading to children. Even I found it. I hope to schedule more programs like that. It's good for me. And, we all planted seeds afterwards. It was about as much gardening as I have done it a very long time. I didn't decorate my pot nearly as well as the kiddos did. Anyways... if you get a chance, read a kid's book. If you can read it to a kid, even better!

3 comments:

Ranger Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ranger Bob said...

Now you have an idea of my career in the classroom. Where were you reading, ranger? Colorado or California or other? Might we be neighbors in the near future? How far from DEPO to DEVA?

Amy said...

Excellent! Now I need to find copies of both those books...