Thursday, May 22, 2008

Notes From the Field

I always wanted to be in a field somewhere so that that was applicable. Anyways... I have misplaced my camera, so no pics, but here's a quick update from the California crew of the Mac and Beardog... Bear and I are hanging in at Yosemite. This week started my 7 days in a row at Yosemite followed by one day of paid moving (so technically I'm working) and the next day starting right up at the Postpile. I think I'll be ready for a large drink when I finally get a real day off. But, really, when am I not game for a large drink? So this week, I'm rolling through bike patrol training... the obstacle course hurt a lot. Don't fall on your gun side. Just a tip for the rest of you who are riding around on bikes with sirens and a gun on your hip. Oh, come on, I know you work it on your weekends... I may have funny pics of me riding up stairs later... So, just a visual, for those of you who can't picture 13 rangers riding around Yosemite on matching bikes with matching T-Shirts that say PARK RANGER, FEDERAL OFFICER in big black letters... It's like a huge bike gang--- all of us wreaking havoc on the valley in formation. Hilarious really. We were on minute away from getting power rings, circling up, and yelling out something akin to "Thundercats, HOOOOOOOOOOOO." Then they turned us loose to run amok and make traffic stops. Dispatch was pissed. Apparently 13 call ins for seat belt violations was more than they thought necessary. One of them did however result in a sweet arrest. That's right. Here in Yosemite, we pull you over for a seat belt and then you end up in jail. Moral? When you see craploads of guys with guns riding around on matching bikes, odds are that they're up to no good. So put your seat belt on and hide your warrants in the glove box. Tonight they're turning us loose at night. Oh Boy! Then to the shenanigans that will be traffic copping on Memorial Day weekend. I think that's what we do in the valley on that weekend. Write parking tickets. Super. So that is the update... official start date at the Postpile is one week from today, Thursday. It's apparently happening. I'll try to find my camera, because seriously, Aimee, Bear, and I went to Mammoth last weekend to move a bed and it was amazing. It reminded me a little bit of the San Juans in Colorado. And given my affinity for the San Juans, that can't be a bad sign. And we met a nice bartender who invited us to a Flogging Molly show in Tahoe. I found that to be a good sign as well.

No comments: