Friday, May 23, 2008

Seeing the Forest for the Trees


Bear and I walk through Yosemite Valley every day. Usually we are bombarded by so many small children wanting to either pet or laugh at the three legged dog. This evening a cold rain came to the Valley and our evening walk was significantly different. Being the calm before the storm of Memorial Day weekend, this was a welcomed change. We walked out to Cooks Meadow, past the Redwinged Blackbirds and the mallard pair in the ephemeral pools. The visitors seemed to all be bundled up somewhere in their tent cabins. We stopped at a bridge over a seasonal pond. Bear laid down, enjoying the break, and I laid down on my belly and hung my head over the pond, looking for tadpoles. I was checking to see if they had gotten legs yet. Still too early for legs, I suppose. Meanwhile, a father and his two sons stopped on the bridge.


The son got off his bike and said, "Hey Dad, C'mere! This is what she was looking at!"


The dad came over and said, "Wow! What an amazing reflection!"


He promptly got out his camera and began shooting away. I looked back at the pond and saw a perfect reflection of the 2500 foot Yosemite Falls in the still waters of the tadpole pond.


"Actually," I said, "I was looking at the tadpoles there in the pond. I didn't even see the reflection."


"Well isn't that interesting. We didn't even see the tadpoles," replied the dad.


And it is for these moments that I work in Our National Parks.

No comments: