Sunday, April 27, 2008

All the Roommates are Gone....

But there is still plenty of spring shredding to be done. The powder days are probably over for the season but there are still turns to be made. There are several aspects of spring skiing that make it such a special time of year. For one the resorts are deserted. I stopped in the middle of a run yesterday and looked behind me and saw no one. It was a beautiful thing. But one of the coolest aspects of skiing at the end of April is that the amount of clothes necessary for optimal comfort is decreased significantly. Sweet.


Granted skiing by yourself is not nearly as fun as skiing with your people. But riding up the lifts by yourself does give you the unique opportunity to converse with some of your fellow enthusiasts who have not put up the skis for the season just yet. By the time you get to top you have generally discussed how great a day it is and how I live here and they live in the 'Bay Area' four hours away. But yet we both have season passes. I am always impressed with this level of dedication. So here are a couple snippets for my life changing conversations on the lift yesterday.


Fellow skier: "What a great day. I always forget how much I love spring skiing."


Me: "Yup, it's a sweet day."


Fellow skier: "Are you from here?"


Me: "Yup, I just live down the mountain. You?"


Fellow Skier: "About forty minutes south of the Bay Area."


Me: "Sweet."


Fellow Skier: "Your the first person I've seen wearing shorts today."


Me: "I'm the first person I've seen wearing shorts as well."


Fellow Skier: "It's a good day for it. I'm about ready to lose this turtleneck."


Me: Luckily my inner monologue kicked in here. Otherwise I would have made some sort of suggestion about burning it. But I just replied, "Right on."


My next lift ride conversation was much more exciting. Mostly because I think the fact that we were both wearing shorts made us instant friends. Super.


Fellow shorts wearer: "Man the snow at Sugar Bowl was better. I should have went back there again today."


Me: "It's always a good day just as long as your out there."


Fellow shorts wearer: "True. I debated the shorts today. I knew if I was going to be doing bumps I would probably fall. But if your not falling your not skiing hard enough."


Me: "Right on."


Truer words have never been spoken. My next run down I took my first fall of the day. And my next lift ride up I saw my fellow shorts wearer tearing up the bumps.


Not a powder day but still a good day none the less.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do socks and shorts that meet at the knee count as wearing shorts?

maureenfinnerty said...

socks and shorts that meet at the knee so count! Way to risk the snow rash and take the style points to the hill! looking forward to some backcountry short wearing! I should be healed by then. ;)

Aimee said...

Thanks for the affirmation Mo :)