Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tightrolls?


Do you ever wake up and realize that, somehow, unbeknowst to you, someone has let a fahion tiger out of it's cage and neglected to tell you? Well, maybe not. But today, I had such a moment of horror. My first period class walked in and I saw it. The horror was more than I thought I could handle that early in the morning. This girl walks in, armload full of books, oversized zip up hoody with skulls around the collar, little silver studs bedazzled to the zipper line... all of that was fine. It was the uber tight stonewashed jeans made tighter still by the neat little folded over roll at the bottom. Now all of us who grew up in the eighties remember this fad and surely hoped that it would go the way of our New Kids on the Block t-shirts (which apparently are about to be en vogue again thanks to the NKOTB reunion) and snap bracelets. Not so. It is back. With a vengeance. After school, I went to Target, where I was promptly visually assaulted by the tight roll again! This time it was an overweight woman in her late 30's and only what I could assume was her rather goth looking boyfriend. They were both rocking the tightrolls. I'm hoping this is a regional thing and the rest of you have not seen this disturbing trend. If indeed this is the next big thing, I am bowing out, having rocked that when I was 9 or 10 along with the crimped hair and the little socks with the balls on the ankles. But I couldn't help but notice, as 80% of the kids in my discovery science classes today rocked the skinny jeans, boys and girls alike, that perhaps I was missing something in my hemp jeans and Patagonia thermal. But then again, perhaps not.

2 comments:

jimmy said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tight_rolled_pants

Since wikipedia doesn't tell me there is a comeback, I will have to assume this is a regional phenomonon.

maureenfinnerty said...

thanks goodness. thanks for checking on that jimmy. megan says we're okay too. no fashion updates of tightrolls from her end and she writes a fashioin blog. i think we're safe. ;)