Friday, April 11, 2008

My Winter Braiding Hair

Looking back over my shoulder at this winter past I smile. This past winter was quite an experience for me the eldest of two brothers (That means no girls). This unique experience for my wife and me was living with a new addition to the Hanna Family Maureen Joyce Finnerty. Although this packaged deal of MISS Finnerty came with a male it was in the form of a three-legged dog named bear. Bear the wonder pooch is fond of lying around the house, but he is not too fond of the wood shavings or the sound of my router. He spent many a woodworking day dreaming of new episodes of Gray's anatomy lying on the couch. This new addition to the Hanna Family took a little adjusting and getting used to. It seemed that out of the blue there was lots of girl talk and giggling that was as foreign to me as braiding hair. For all the males out there in blog world I researched some types of hair braids to catch you up on the hip times I live in. Read further:

· The French braid: One of the very first braids that every woman tries on their hair is the classic French Twist. French Twist style could be worn by just about anyone with medium to super long hair. To do this braid, start at the very top and take three small, but equal sections of hair from the front. Begin braiding by moving the right to the middle and then the left. In your right hand pick up a little more hair and move this into the middle. With your left hand pick up more hair and move it to the middle. Continue alternating, each time picking up a little more hair on the side. When you come to the bottom of the head you should have picked up all the hair. Now just continue with the rest of the hair like the simple braid

· Simple braid: To do a simple braid pull all the hair back, you may want to secure it with a rubber band. Divide the hair into three sections. Take the right section of hair over the middle section; now take the left section over the middle one. Alternate the right and left sections until you reach the end of the hair. Now band or clip it to keep it in place.

· A fishbone braid: Divide your hair into two and take a very little section from the top of the right side and add it to the left. Make a small section of hair from the top left and add it to the right. Go a head to go back and forth working all the hair in. Keep it tight. Work down the head and continue in the same way until you have reached the bottom of the hair, band or clip. This 'hair do' is very impressive looking especially if use very small amounts of hair, but it can take a very lengthier time and hence not suitable during your rushing-up moments.

Well that was refreshing. Anyways, this winter was full of exciting times and well some minor drama. Things were going to be a little different in my little world in Gardnerville, NV. After settling into these changes I realized that having Mo as a close part of my life truly benefited my wife and myself. She brought laughs and good perspective into my life that I needed and she challenged me listen to the heart and not always the mind. (Now if I can only reciprocate the reverse.) So hears to you roommate and BFF who never lets anything get you down. Ladies and Gentlemen hear me out when I say Maureen Finnerty has taken a beating this winter and has kept running the good race. Not to mention she has kept Skinny Cow and good breweries open for business. Heres to you substitute teacher, ski patroller, EMT, Blog writing, Avalanche guide, mail piling, BFF, early morning rising, Internet romancing, car maintenance requiring, chi tea drinking roommate. This winter would have not been the same with out you. We all know that you are going to bust some heads in Yosemite so go get em' partner.

1 comment:

jimmy said...

Clay,
The next step in "braiding hair" is to live with up to but not exceeding 4 girls, two of which must be Mo and her sister.

I too learned a lot from the cutestranger.


ps. everyone knows piggy tails are the best